Saturday, March 15, 2014

Exploring roles

I had previously applied for a job as a center manager in a local head start program but a minimum of 2 two years of experience with preschool children was needed.  I wanted to work in this center because when I went to do my observations I witnessed how they focus on the natural aspect of early childhood education. Parents were interacting with their children and teachers were being understandable with children. I also liked how they empower parents and take them to local and state meetings.


My other choice is as a pre-school teacher in a town 45 min away from mine, the pay is good but the feeling being 45 min away from my daughters just doesn’t feel  right for me. The third choice is to work in a pre-school center where I see a potential job there since it will be only for district employees. Where I live is a small town, there’s not much centers or organizations I could take a look at.  I am currently a first grade teacher and barely exploring my territory. I feel happy, but I’m definitely looking forward to move up in the scale and I know that what I need most is experience, only time will give me that. 

2 comments:

  1. I currently work for a head start center that is loosing its funding and closing its doors at the end of may, so I have to find another job for the fall. I got an offer with a local school district, but they want certified teachers and I am not certified yet. I was looking forward to being done with school after my masters program concluded april 27th, but it looks like more school is in my future to get certified. I want to explore more territory as well and get a job in another state. I have lived in Kansas City my entire life and I am getting bored. Good luck on your search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisa,
    From experience, I can tell you that your decisions need to be made around your family. We are devoted to children and are passionate about making their lives better. In the process, we cannot lose sight of what is best for our own children. The Resource & Referral Agency in my region cannot keep staff. They hire some very knowledgeable and passionate professionals but the executive director is a workaholic and never allows them time with their family. She cannot keep staff. It is definitely good to think about your future, but keep in mind, you have time. I ran a child care center for 19 years while I was having and raising my children. I did not make a lot of money but everyone was happy. Once they were grown, I got a job in state government at 42 years old. I love my job and my children are in college and independent. Don't take a job that will limit your time with family. Good luck to you!
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete