Saturday, February 2, 2013

Exploring my web resource


What specific section(s) or information seemed particularly relevant to your current professional development?
The Zero to Three website is totally a professional tool to me because they provide you with a lot of information for those who take care of infants and toddlers, and as you already know my goal is to open up a center that serves infants and toddlers. It shows you different things from recommendations of kinds of play at different stages all the way to advocacy actions and lessons online about child care.
Which ideas/statements/resources, either on the website or in an e-newsletter, did you find controversial or made you think about an issue in new ways?
Definitely the one issue that made me think about in new ways was the impact of child trauma. Recognizing the levels of trauma and how deep the trauma is. Even though we can’t give theraphy such as a specialized psychologist would do, we can learn how to treat the child with trauma and build resiliency for the child and his parents.
What information does the website or the e-newsletter contain that adds to your understanding of how economists, neuroscientists, or politicians support the early childhood field?
The website definitely made me think about the importance of the different fields. From an economists point of view they have different powerpoints talking numbers and statistics about this field. From a neuroscientist point of view they have a plethora of information about how the brain works and its developmental stages. Finally, from a political point of view they have resources on how to advocate for different causes regarding the early childhood field or just to stay informed.  
What other new insights about issues and trends in the early childhood field did you gain from exploring the website or e-newsletter?
The one new insight that I gained was to know about the provision of childhood mental health. To be honest I haven’t heard about this issue as a strong one in my community. So, exploring more the issue and the challenges of funding this program made me more aware of the situation. 

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. It is a lot of important factors detailed throughout the post. For example, child trauma. You really have to take into consideration every aspect of a child as a school teacher or educational professional. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT website!! I visit it often in relation to my work, and I always find a vast array of information and resources for me as well as the families I work with. I know it will continue to give you a lot of insights and information to help you achieve your dream!! It has been a little while since I have visited the website, I am definitely interested to go and read what they have to say about childhood mental health!! I fear that this is an area that has been neglected for far too long, and hope that we are able to provide some support for these children. Thanks for sharing!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understanding how to cope with child trauma is definitly a MUST when working in the early childhood field. When I first began my career as an ECE educator, I was amazed at the things these young children deal with on a day-to-day. I couldn't imagine having to endure some of those same things when I was growing up. I'm glad this website provides such information...it will definitely come in handy. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elisa,
    It must be so hard to recognize levels of child trauma and teaching resiliency must require sophisticated skills. It must be even more challenging to witness children’s physical and emotional pain. I am hopeful that mental health will lose its negative charge and become a topic commonly talked about such as physical ailments. By and large, mental health care has made great strides since 1962 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey. However, it will require efforts from science, politicians, and the general public to accept that mental health is as important as physical health. Professionals in the early childhood education must destigmatize the topic of mental health to promote valuable conversations with children and their families.

    ReplyDelete