Saturday, September 8, 2012

Different countries, different birth methods

Giving birth to my two girls will always be the most memorable experience that my brain will ever remember. Thanks to our Lord,  they turned out to be very healthy natural births with no complications. I had both births 4 years apart, but the nervousness and fatigue were the same. I want to talk about my last one since it was only four months ago. My second girl’s name is Rennata, when she was born everything happened so slowly but when I started pushing she was with us in only 25 minutes. It seems that mothers are the only ones who suffer when going through labor, but babies also are tense. They experience a rise of adrenaline much stronger than a heart attack, they breathe for the first time, and it is pointless to say that it is crucial that they perform this action vigorously. After giving birth, many mothers could suffer depression. Post-partum depression affects the mother directly and indirectly to the baby. A recent study on depression showed that mothers who didn’t interact with their babies with apathy (due to depression), these babies demonstrated major implications with their heart and brain development (Berger, 2009). Without a doubt, the task of being born and being dependable from older adults is not easy. We are so vulnerable at this stage, that any abnormal situation could be perpetrated in our lives.

Cultural influences are so strong, that even births are different because of this. I chose the Netherlands as a country to learn more about births. In Holland about 50 % of women give birth at their home. Doctors are only required for uncommon cases. Another interesting fact, was that the epidural in only given if it fits the anesthesiologist’s schedule, or if an obstetrician demands it. Definitely, here in the U.S. we are pampered and spoiled. I honestly can’t think myself surviving without the epidural. But I guess is always from a cultural point of view.

References
Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through childhood (5th ed.). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.
Schalken, L. (n.d.). Birth customs around the world. Retrieved from http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/giving-birth/vaginal/birth-customs-around-the-world/?page=2

4 comments:

  1. I agree we are definitely spoiled here! I couldn't imagine going through labor without an epidural!! You make such a good point about how vulnerable babies are at this early stage. So many things can effect how they develop. The relationship between mother and child is so important and if a mother is depressed and is not able to bond with her baby, the effects can be so negative. Great point!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I am guilty of post-partum depression mainly because I was re-hospitalized after labor and delivery due to extreme blood loss and had to have a blood transfusion performed. I was extremely sad and depressed becasue at that moment I needed medical care and could not provide it for my own child who was less than a week old. I felt hopeless and even after returning home, I feared having to go through it all over again. That experience affected me mentally as I now try to remind myself that "every pregnancy is different". Now, almost 19 months later, I have gotten to the point where I do want more children but I pray that post-partum depression doesn't hit as hard when I decide to have a 2nd child. CONGRATS on your two little girls. I hope my next is a girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cultural shock for me to know that the epidural is provided only by appointment in the Netherlands. Wow, I could not imagine giving birth without it. This only reminds me to count my blessings because not every is as fortunate. Women are strong and endure alot, God stored alot in us to be able to bear things throughout this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very interesting to me, I find it very interesting that babies, experience a rise of adrenaline during birth, I never knew that. It is also amazing to me the different birthing methods & procedures that women from all around the world go through just to bring a new life into the world.

    ReplyDelete