Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Zero to Three organization


My chosen organization is called Zero to Three. It is a nonprofit organization that focuses on the development and health of newborns all the way up to three year olds. It has very interesting information about ways of helping the child develop to his/her fullest potential, making it easy to understand the needs of the child. It also includes topics about public policy and child maltreatment.

Event tough I haven’t received my issue, since I just subscribed to it, browsing the website one issue caught my attention, it was child trauma. It caught my attention because we don’t often talk about it, and the impact could be devastating. Such is the horrifying case of the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy (may God have them in his arms) the website provides with plenty of strategies that one can use to comfort a child in such terrible cases. They recommend not letting the child be aware of the media and give him his space when needed. Children might act out what they experienced, and we should let it happen as it is their way of confronting their own fears. If the play gets overwhelming for the child, just comfort him and redirect him to a different activity. It was very good to know what to do in cases when a child unfortunately experiences wounding tragedies.



4 comments:

  1. As mentioned on another one of our colleague's blog, I have heard of 'ZERO TO THREE' before, but thanks for going more in-depth. Having a 2 yr old son, I will definitely start checking this website out. It seems to have a wealth of information that I'm sure I can benefit from as a parent, as well as a professional. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elisa,
    I am familiar with "ZERO TO THREE", but I appreciate you for sharing this info, because I work with 1-3 years old I find the information very helpful and informative. Child trauma alongside with bullying are affecting our children and it was nice getting tips on how to better assist these students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Elisa,
    I can’t wait to hear more about Zero to Three. For an earlier class, I perused their website pages and was impressed by the wealth of information on newborns and their development. My mind finally opened up to sign language which can promote babies’ attachment through effective attunement with their caregivers. Since then, I support teaching sign language to expecting parents, to children regardless of their age. In my opinion, sign language should be every one’s second nature in every country and should be added to the curriculum and not taught to the detriment of other spoken languages.
    Thank you for sharing Zero to Three’s insights on how to help children deal with traumatic experiences! Educators need to be prepared with such situations and be trained in responding appropriately to the best of their ability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zero to Three is a GREAT resource!!! I use it often in my work and it provides a lot of information that is helpful for myself as a professional, but also to share with my families. I hope that you will get as much out of the resource as I continue to!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete