Saturday, July 7, 2012

Week 2

This is a pictrue that my daughter Reginna (she is 4 years old) drew for her baby sister, who at the time wasn't born yet, her name is Rennata.
  • A book to share: "The Power of Guidance" by Dan Gartrell . This is not a story book but rather it is a book for teaching in early chidlhood classrooms. Even though it is for a classroom I think all parents should read this book because it talks about common mistakes that we as adults make regarding children in the social-behavioral area. This book really changed my thoughts about the world of the little ones and made me understand them a little bit more.
  • A quote to remember: "Patience is rarely necessary when one is understanding." Nancy Weber
  • Story of a child: 
    The best story that I can share is my own story, the story of my daughter. When I entered the world of motherhood I realized that there was more than just loving your baby. You have to teach her/him the rules of society, what’s acceptable and what’s not. This war between what society wants and what my child wants, put me in a position of standing in the middle. My daughter is a child just like any other child. She likes to play, get herself dirty when exploring, asking questions, throw tantrums when things don’t go her way, etc.  I knew that it was very important to accept that she is a child, but I just didn’t know how to combine being understandable and being firm. The most helpful class that I took during my formation as an educator was the early childhood class. I not only applied it with my students, but with my own daughter. Seeing change her negative behavior to a more positive one, and my own, led me to the conclusion that most of the kids who don’t always listen to their parents or teachers is because they are not being understood. Perhaps is simply because some adults lack of strategies and don’t know how to approach them. All children are good children; they just need the correct guidance.
  • Children's Book: My Duck by Tanya Linch. It is a story about a little girl who draws an assignment from her teacher, but her teacher doesn't have the little girl's imagination. It results in an odyssey to meet the terms of her teacher.

2 comments:

  1. The Power of Guidance" by Dan Gartrell . It is a most wonderful resource. I agree that it can be used in the classroom and recommended as a parent resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reference book Elisa, and back up Joy I haven't read it, I'll be ordering it right away!

    Elisa, what a beautiful painting by your daughter, with the color and intentional strokes it looks so welcoming for her new baby sister. What a precious keep sake!

    ReplyDelete