Saturday, June 1, 2013

Microagressions


I remember going to a lady gaga concert in Phoenix and I was having a conversation with a girl sitting next to me and she told me “Where do you guys come from?” and I told her that we were from Douglas,AZ and she told me :  “Really? You have a different accent. You speak English very well though”. I know that she didn’t say it maliciously but it kind of made me feel separated from my own culture.


This week’s readings made me reflect on the actions and behaviors of my own. I’ve not only been the receptor but the perpetrator in conversations as well.  I think it is important to consider somebody else’s feelings and think before we act. During this week, I was aware of any microagression that could be happening around me; I found some jokes on TV about cultural differences and homosexuality as well. I’ve learned and liked the topic about microagression because it has made me grow as a professional and human being. No matter if we think the comment we’ve said can’t be that offensive, in somebody’s heart it is. 

3 comments:

  1. You're so right Elisa! We really do have to be quick to think and slower to speak! It may not have been said to hurt someone, but it could have. Looking at this week's examples, it sure does make you think twice about making comments like the girl made to you at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisa, I agree with you completely! i hate it when Southerns seem to be stereotyped of their accent. For instance, I remember going to Pennsylvania and people thinking that we are slow or cannot read as well as other people. They asked if we had heard of the Wall Street Journal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from Dallas, Texas, when I visit other states I have been asked about my dialect. I really don't hear my own "Southern draw." In grocery stores, the cashier's have asked me what country I am from before. Country? I just tell them Texas.

    ReplyDelete