Saturday, June 22, 2013

Overcoming Cultural Differences

My family origin:
Russia

At least five ways in which you will prepare yourself to be culturally responsive towards this family
  1.   Check out some instructional Russian cd’s at my local library, it doesn’t hurt to learn some words in other language.
  2.    Learn about traditional Russian family structure, though I know that each family is different, I think it will be a good idea to have some sort of information and take precautions.
  3. Visuals will also show the welcoming of other ethnicities, such as having some words posted throughout the classroom on the different languages we have, and definitely flags.
  4.    As we get to know each other, I will learn more about the peculiarities of the family and establish trust.
  5.  Facilitate the ways of instruction and provide strategies to the child to learn English, just as it happened to me when I learned English in school.
  6. I need to be cognizant that language is not the only barrier. My acts and behaviors also influence his optimal development in school and in this country. Therefore a pre-talk with my students need to be arranged so that everyone will be welcoming and enthusiastic.
  7.  If possible, look for an interpreter.
  8. With the help of technology I think it will be a good idea to get in contact with a Russian teacher so that he/she can instruct me on the academic terms equivalent to English.      


A brief statement describing in what ways you hope that these preparations will benefit both you and the family


By doing this I think they will appreciate what I’m doing and they will be more willing to work with me besides language barriers. In an effort to show that we can all adapt, I would actually talk about all the effort I will be doing to provide a secure and welcoming environment for them so that they would also feel held accountable to support me and be more open with me. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elisa,
    This can be a very interesting venture, to try an accommodate a foreign family. I think based on your preparation you will do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be cool to Skype or face time or satellite talk with the child's previous teacher or class. I thought about this wen you mentioned using technology and a Russian teacher. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your ideas and think you did outstanding. I really loved your idea of talking with a teacher from the country. This is something that I didn't think about. This would be so beneficial to you and the family. You could learn so much from her and he/she could give you great tips, maybe answer some of your questions, guide you in a direction you wouldn't have even known to go in. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have very good ideas on how to welcome this family. I did not think about contacting a teacher from the other country for help, but I can see how it would be very beneficial. I believe the more effort you put in to make accommodations for the family the more comfortable they will be. You are so right language will not be your only barrier but hopefully studying and learning as much as possible about the family and their culture will help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisa

    I agree that you will be able to help this family when you are willing to learn more about them as individuals they certainly will want to take the effort to learn more about what is going on with their child's education. You will receive more of a partnership from they them because you have been willing to learning about your family from Russia.

    ReplyDelete