Saturday, July 27, 2013

Who am I as a communicator?



Doing this test was very fun because it was a different way to reflect on what I say and how others perceive me as a communicator. In the communication anxiety I got a 44 and my sister gave me a 36. In the listening test I scored in group 1 and my sister also placed me in group 1. In the verbal aggressiveness I got a moderate score and the same from my sister. I don’t consider myself an aggressive person; I always try to politically disagree when I don’t agree with an idea. I was very happy that the test actually reflected my efforts in doing that. It was funny to know that my sister actually thinks that I’m a confident communicator but the truth is that I get nervous when talking in public, but once I get the hang of it, confidence kicks in.  Overall I think I hold a balance as a communicator, I do get nervous when I have to speak in public, but if I have to I’ll surely do it. 

3 comments:

  1. Elisa, I enjoyed reading your blog post this week. I am the same way. I too think I am a poor public communicator but the people I asked to conduct the assessment thought I was a mild communicator. However, I am terrified to talk in public but hope to overcome this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisa! The people who did the test about me had very similar results that I had as well. I thought it was interesting how effective this was in bringing to my attention what other people perceived me to be. My husband and friend both thought I was completely comfortable speaking in public when in fact I am not. Bt this brought to my attention that I am obviously doing a good job of hiding my anxiety about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa,
    Isn't it interesting how others perceive you verses how you see yourself. Like most of us my scores were very similar to those I asked to do the test. After reading your post I though about my co-workers who often say to me your great at speaking in front of large groups (I have to when I am facilitating PD for the teachers in the system i work for). I may appear cool calm and collected to them but on the inside my tummy is turned upside down and to be honest I would rather not do it. Like you this test also helped to confirm that the strategies I have been using to improve my communication effectiveness is working.

    ReplyDelete