Saturday, March 23, 2013

Beneficial Research


In college I had the opportunity to participate in a Harvard research project. The research was about the way bilingual students transition from one language to another in a daily basis. They asked me questions about how I managed to use both languages in school and in my social experiences. I had a good time talking to the researcher and shared my learning experiences in school and my social.  To be honest I don’t know how the research concluded. But I’m sure it offered much to consider about the bigger minority group.  I believe that research is a very beneficial work because with every piece of research a new piece of the puzzle is found and offers a clearer view about what’s need to be done and take into consideration. It is true that research is not always constructive, but what is? Everything that is worth trying has a risk. I believe that the researcher should always have in mind that children are the primary beneficiaries.

4 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of feeling like you've contributed to world simply by providing your insight into a piece of research. I was recently contacted via phone to take part in a survey about the satisfaction of early childhood programs in my community. I felt somewhat honored to provide my insight and all the wonderful things my son's childcare program offers. Like you, I'm not really sure of the results of that research but I'm sure it will benefit children in some way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that "Everything that is worth trying has a risk". That statement is so true but sometimes we forget that and get so caught up in our own bubble, because I know I do. I also had the privilege to participate in a research study and I felt through participating it gave me closure and insight on natural feelings that I had on a sensitive subject. I believe we all gain from research but to respect all parties is also beneficial. I thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisa, I bet it was interesting to be a part of that research study. You're right,through research another piece of a puzzle is found. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elisa,
    What a fascinating experience you had! I would love to learn more about your journey as a bilingual girl and woman. When I lived in southern California, our apartment complex had many Spanish speaking people recently arrived from Tijuana, México. Although I speak Spanish, I rarely used the language because I could feel that it would be an intrusion as though these immigrants protected their identity and pride through their language barrier. This was the first time that I felt language as being an emotional experience (HARRIS, GLEASON, & Aycicegi, 2006). Researchers must be careful with the language used in their research. Thanks for your post!
    Harris, C.L., Gleason, J.B.,& Aycicegi, A. (2006). When is a First Language More Emotional? Retrieved From: www.bu.edu/psych/charris/papers/HarrisEmotionBiling.pdf

    ReplyDelete